In our last letter we emphasized the need to develop Godly Christian Character. The dictionary definition for character is (1) A person marked by notable qualities or traits of consistency (2) Reputation (3) Moral excellence and firmness. Someone gave this definition of Christina character as “the subconscious doing of right or moral excellence with firmness and a consistency for Jesus Christ.”
If Christian character is the subconscious doing of right, then a person must program himself to do right. This may best be said as follows: “If a person is going to subconsciously do right, then he must first consciously do right.” Why is this necessary for a Christian? It is necessary because we are to be a witness to the world. In Matthew 5:13-16 we read, “Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Let me share a few quotes about character that will help you to understand the importance of, and how to build, a Godly life with Character.
1. CHARACTER is the sum and total of a person’s choices.
2. CHARACTER is best checked at two extremities: one is when you are at the top; the other is when you are at the bottom. CHARACTER is what you are in the dark.
3. A man’s treatment of money is the most decisive test of his CHARACTER – how he makes it and how he spends it.
4. If there is a job to be done, I always ask the busiest person in the church to do it; and it always gets done.
5. The victory comes not to the one who is the most talented, but to the one who labors more abundantly than them all.
6. To those who have CHARACTER winners never quit, and to those who do not have CHARACTER quitters never win.
7. Every child can have a strong and sturdy moral CHARACTER if disciplined, corrected and trained. Yours is not an exception.
8. The test of your CHARACTER is what it takes to stop you. In your mind, underline the words “stop you.” Ask yourself what it takes to stop you. Often petty, childish, and juvenile actions cause us to quit, which proves we are petty, childish, and juvenile.
9. True CHARACTER, when it is instilled in the lives of young people, will find the talent necessary to perform the task. Once you have godly character, everything else is made available to you. If you determine that you are going to learn to be on time, work hard, be diligent, be honest, and have integrity you will have privileges made available to you. Remember this, “the highest reward for a man’s toil is not what he receives for that work, but what he becomes by the sweat of his brow.” Too often we think, “The great reward is what I receive!” No, the great reward is what you become!
10. CHARACTER is more important than talent, for CHARACTER will seek talent, and talent off-times will flee character. I have said this for years: You give me someone who has character and I will be able to train them to have talent on a job. I also have said I will not clap or cheer those who have talent, but lack character.
11. The measure of a man’s real CHARACTER is what he would do if no one would find out. The real you is what you do when you are alone. Too many people spend too much time working on the outward appearance when they ought to be doing something about the inside. In I Samuel 16:7 we read, “For the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.” It is not what a man has or even what he does that directly expresses his worth; it is what he is.
Do you want CHARACTER? Force yourself to do RIGHT. If you want CHARACTER let the Word of God guide you as over these weeks we are going to observe, read and quote many, many Bible verses. Then try always to do what the Bible says. Keep on doing it unto it becomes your CHARACTER to do what is RIGHT by REFLEX.
May God’s blessing be upon you this week as you read and meditate on the third of three Weekly Sermons on Character – “If You Fail – Don’t Faint!”. ?
PS: As we have repeatedly said, we will not charge for sending the Weekly SERMON. However there are expenses associated with doing what we do. If possible during 2013, would you please consider helping us in this faith ministry? Your donation will help us to continue to “stand in the gap” in “teaching others also.” After you have given your tithes to your church and taken care of your pastor, would you consider giving either a yearly gift, or a monthly offering? Remember, for the purposes of financial accountability, we have placed this ministry under the Green Street Baptist Chapel of Edwardsville, PA. Checks made out to Green Street Baptist Chapel, memo to the Bible Baptist ministry and mailed to Bible Baptist Ministry 48 Alexie Rd, Hanover Township, PA 18706 will be applied to this ministry.
In order to access the Weekly SERMON, please click the link to Weekly Sermon Library, where you will be able to choose: Plain Text (TXT), Microsoft Word document (DOC), Rich Text (RTF), Web Page (HTML) or PDF (Portable Document Format), any of the format(s) you desire. After you decide on the appropriate format(s) you may then print a copy of the Weekly SERMON, save it to a file on your computer, or download it and save it to a disk for future use. Your use of this material is meant to be flexible.