In Ephesians 6: 1-2, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee." In verse 2 we are instructed to, "Honour thy father and thy mother …" Since honoring our parents is to take a high priority in our lives, it is important that we know how to practically apply this command. Here are ten ways that we can begin showing honor to our parents.
1. Enjoy their company. Parents are honored when their sons and daughters delight in being around them and doing things with them. They are saddened when their children view time with them as an obligation rather than a joy.
2. Be with them in public. It is an honor to parents when their family is together in public settings, such as sitting together in church. It should be a priority to join them at public events that they view as important.
3. Introduce your parents enthusiastically to others. People can tell how much honor and respect we have for our parents by the degree of enthusiasm we show when we introduce them.
4. Thank them with gifts of appreciation. In this passage, the Greek word translated as honor, means "to attach a value to something." We honor the government by paying taxes. We honor the Lord by giving tithes and offerings. It is therefore appropriate to honor parents by giving them meaningful and valued gifts.
5. Provide facts for decisions. Parents are called upon to make a multitude of decisions. In order for parents to make wise decisions, they must have all the facts, not just a select few. We must be open and honest with our parents and trust God to work through them.
6. Praise them before others. Unfortunately, many sons and daughters complain about their parents to others. No matter how faulty parents may be, we should look for qualities and achievements that we can praise before others.
7. Deflect praise. When people praise us for significant achievements, it is appropriate to thank them and then to direct praise to our parents for their many investments in our lives.
8. Welcome their correction. When parents address real or perceived problems in our lives, we can honor them by humbly receiving their correction. As we recognize that God is working through our parents to sharpen our lives, we are able to respond correctly to them.
9. Care for them in old age. When parents are incapable of taking care of themselves, it is our
responsibility to honor them by making sure that their needs are met. Jesus' reaffirmation of the command to honor our parents was a rebuke to the Pharisees for neglecting this responsibility.
10. Honor their memory. When parents pass away, we should continue to speak respectfully of them. Their wise teachings and good examples should be written down and carried on for generations to come.
Jesus emphasized the honor we are to give our parents when He said in Matthew 15:4, "For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death." Do our words and actions toward our parents reflect an attitude of honor? Let's use this list as a starting point for creative ways to show them honor.
May God's blessing be upon you this week as you read and meditate on the eight message from the series on the Master’s Plan from Hebrews 10:25, “The Master’s Place – Part 2”..
PS: As we have repeatedly said, we will not charge for sending the Weekly SERMON. However there are expenses associated with doing what we do. If possible during 2014, would you please consider helping us in this faith ministry? Your donation will help us to continue to “stand in the gap” in “teaching others also.” After you have given your tithes to your church and taken care of your pastor, would you consider giving either a yearly gift, or a monthly offering? Remember, for the purposes of financial accountability, we have placed this ministry under the Green Street Baptist Chapel of Edwardsville, PA. Checks made out to Green Street Baptist Chapel, memo to the Bible Baptist ministry and mailed to Bible Baptist Ministry 48 Alexie Rd, Hanover Township, PA 18706 will be applied to this ministry.
In order to access the Weekly SERMON, please click the link to Weekly Sermon Library, where you will be able to choose: Plain Text (TXT), Microsoft Word document (DOC), Rich Text (RTF), Web Page (HTML) or PDF (Portable Document Format), any of the format(s) you desire. After you decide on the appropriate format(s) you may then print a copy of the Weekly SERMON, save it to a file on your computer, or download it and save it to a disk for future use. Your use of this material is meant to be flexible.