We Must Learn the Secret of Contentment
in Order to Finish Well
Bible Study Objectives:
To remind us that contentment is an inner peace which external circumstances cannot alter: Philippians 4:11
To remind us that God owns it all, He can be trusted to provide for us for He is sovereign: Psalms 146:6, 37:25, 75:6-7
To remind us that as stewards we simply manage the affairs of another and will one day give an account: Luke 16:2
To remind us that ignoring God brings unhappiness, obeying God brings us happiness: Isaiah 57:20, Luke 11:28, John 13:17
What Every Good Steward Needs To Know To Get His-Her House In Order: II Kings 20:1
1. Contentment is a feeling of satisfaction regardless of circumstances and it can be learned by all: Philippians 4:11-19
2. Godliness is wonderful, but it only results in great gain when united with contentment: I Timothy 6:6-19, Colossians 3:8-17
3. Covetousness/consumerism wrongly teaches that we are defined by what we have and not who we are: Exodus 20:17
4. The sin of covetousness is listed with the other despicable sins that destroy happiness – joy – peace: Ephesians 5:1-33
5. We are to respond to the sin of covetousness just as we would to any life-threatening disease or event: Colossians 3:5
6. Jesus warned us to avoid becoming consumed with the thinking that more stuff brings peace – contentment: Luke 12:15
7. When we choose to be around covetous people we pick up their sinful values and become ensnared: I Corinthians 5:9-11
8. Jesus warned us about living like the rich man who excluded God from his daily planning: Matthew 6:19-20, Luke 12:20
9. Violating the tenth commandment will make us susceptible to violating all of God’s commands: Exodus 20:1-17, James 2:10
10. When we pursue more temporary stuff we lose, when we pursue pleasing God we experience winning: Colossians 3:1-25
11. We are to pray asking God to open our eyes to the sin of covetousness and to focus on true riches: Psalms 119:36
12. Contentment does not come from money/stuff, we can learn to be content with very little: Ecclesiastes 5:10, I Timothy 6:8
13. Learning to be thankful every day is the magic medicine that removes covetousness: Colossians 3:15, Hebrews 13:5,15
Bible Study Summary:
1. We must learn to be content with what we have, but never content with who we are, we must grow: I Peter 2:2
2. When we murmur/complain/covet, God will discipline us and it will not be pleasant: I Corinthians 10:10, Hebrews 12:11
3. When we think about the goodness of almighty God, it should drive us to our knees in real repentance: Romans 2:4
4. When we learn to get off the merry go round of consumerism then we have time for generosity: I John 3:17, Acts 2:45
He’s all I need. When I just need someone to talk to, He’s always there to hear my prayer each time I call Him. All my needs He supplies, my thirsty soul He satisfies, He’s the Lord of Lords.
He’s all I need. He comforts me when I’m weary and eases every pain, fills my deepest longings time and time again. He’s my soul’s inspiration my heart’s consolation, He’s my everything; He’s all I need.
He’s all I need. I need not turn to any other, for he’s a friend I can depend on closer than any brother. On this friend I can rely to be my strength as life goes by, He’s the Lord of Lords.
He’s all I need. He comforts me when I’m weary and eases every pain, fills my deepest longings time and time again. He’s my soul’s inspiration, my heart’s consolation, He’s my everything; He’s all I need.
The Above lesson was written by Tommy Dowling
a Sunday School Teacher for over 40 years.
If God has spoken to your heart after reading the sermon, right now talk to God about what He has spoken to you.
Do you have the assurance that one day you will go to heaven? If you have no assurance that you know Jesus Christ, then I trust you will decide to accept Him as your personal Savior. The Bible tells us in Acts 16:31, “…Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved…” Romans 10:13, “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
The following prayer is here for those who need to ask Jesus to be their personal Savior: “I do want to go to Heaven. I know I am a sinner, and I do believe Jesus Christ died for me. I realize I cannot buy this great salvation, nor can I earn it. Knowing Jesus died on the cross and arose from the grave to pay my sin debt and to purchase my salvation, I do now trust Him as my Savior, and from this moment on I am completely depending on Him for my salvation.” If you made the decision to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, please let me know. Please send an e-mail to email@example.com and I will send you some literature that will help you in your Christian life.
The “Weekly SERMON” was sent via email as a ministry of Bible Baptist Ministry, 48 Alexie Rd., Hanover Township, PA 18706. Add pdmikbbm@biblebaptistministry.
Permission to Copy: Because “The Weekly SERMON” will be reproduced into other formats, PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING: “The Weekly SERMON” in its original form, without any changes, may be copied and re-transmitted by electronic mail, and copies may be printed for individual or ministry purposes, provided that such copying, re-transmission, printing, or other use is not for profit or other commercial purpose. Any copying, re-transmission, distribution, printing, or other use of “The Weekly SERMON” must be set forth or declared in the heading that is given before each. Any other request for use, please contact Bible Baptist Ministries at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 570.829.5216.
PS: In order to access the Weekly SERMON, in various FORMATS please SUBSCRIBE to our weekly email list at https://theweeklysermon.com/subscribe-or-unsubscribe/ where SUBSCRIBERS ONLY have access to the link to Weekly Sermon Library, SUBSCRIBERS can choose: Plain Text (TXT), Microsoft Word document (DOC), Rich Text (RTF), Web Page (HTML) or PDF (Portable Document Format), any of the format(s) you desire. After you decide on the appropriate format(s) you may then print a copy of the Weekly SERMON, save it to a file on your computer, or download it and save it to a disk for future use. SUBSCRIBERS use of this material is meant to be flexible: UNSUBSCRIBING is easy, just follow the same link above..