I believe the need of the hour is for Christians to develop Godly character. If Christian character is the subconscious doing of right, then a person must program himself to do right. This may best be said as follows: “If a person is going to subconsciously do right, then he must first consciously do right.” Why is this necessary for a Christian? It is necessary because we are to be a witness to the world.
In Matthew 5:13-16; we read, “Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” Let me give you some Character quotes that will help you to understand the importance of and the how of building a Godly life with Character.
1. CHARACTER is the sum and total of a person’s choices.
2. CHARACTER is best checked at two extremities: one is when you are at the top; the other is when you are at the bottom. CHARACTER is what you are in the dark.
3. A man’s treatment of money is the most decisive test of his CHARACTER – how he makes it and how he spends it.
4. If there is a job to be done, I always ask the busiest person in the church to do it; and it always gets done.
5. The victory comes not to the one who is the most talented, but to the one who labors more abundantly than them all.
6. To those who have CHARACTER winners never quit, and to those who do not have CHARACTER quitters never win.
7. Every child can have a strong and sturdy moral CHARACTER if disciplined, corrected and trained. Yours is not an exception.
8. The test of your CHARACTER is what it takes to stop you. Ask yourself what it takes to stop you. Often petty, childish actions cause us to quit, which proves we are petty and childish.
9. True CHARACTER will find the talent necessary to perform the task. Once you have godly character, everything else is made available to you. If you determine that you are going to learn to be on time, work hard, be diligent, be honest, and have integrity you will have privileges made available to you. Remember this, “the highest reward for a man’s toil is not what he receives for that work, but what he becomes by the sweat of his brow.” Too often we think, “The great reward is what I receive!” No, the great reward is what you become!
10. CHARACTER is more important than talent, for CHARACTER will seek talent, and talent off-times will flee character. For years, I have said that if you give me someone who has character, I will be able to train them to have talent on a job. I also have said I will not clap or cheer those who have talent but lack character.
11. The measure of a man’s real CHARACTER is what he would do if no one would find out. The real you is what you do when you are alone. Too many people spend too much time working on the outward appearance when they ought to be doing something about the inside. In I Samuel 16:7; we read, “For the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but he LORD looketh on the heart.” It is not what a man has or does, it is what he is.
Do you want CHARACTER? Force yourself to do RIGHT. If you want CHARACTER let the Word of God guide you. Over the next several weeks we are going to observe, read, and quote many, many Bible verses. If you always try to do what the Bible says, just keep on trying until it becomes your CHARACTER to do what is RIGHT by REFLEX.
In order to access the Weekly SERMON, in various FORMATS please SUBSCRIBE to our weekly email list at https://theweeklysermon.com/subscribe-or-unsubscribe/ where SUBSCRIBERS have access to the link to Weekly Sermon Library, and ONLY SUBSCRIBERS can choose: Plain Text (TXT), Microsoft Word document (DOC), Rich Text (RTF), Web Page (HTML) or PDF (Portable Document Format), any of the format(s) you desire. After you decide on the appropriate format(s) you may then print a copy of the Weekly SERMON, save it to a file on your computer, or download it and save it to a disk for future use. SUBSCRIBERS use of this material is meant to be flexible: UNSUBSCRIBING is easy, just follow the same link above..